Friday, February 11, 2011

Crocheted Dishcloths


I made this granny square dishcloth for a 4-H project. It took about two days to make and I think it will be useful to put in my hope chest.

My mom and I like crocheted dishcloths better than commercial dishcloths because they last a very long time, absorb water better, and are sometimes prettier. My mom has made lots of crocheted dishcloths for our household. She makes them for wedding gifts, and she has made quite a few sets for my hope chest. If you make them too big or too thick, it is hard to squeeze the water out. You have to hang them up to dry or they will smell bad.

Crocheted dishcloths are really very easy to make. You just need to have the skills and materials. I learned how to make a granny square from the 4-H project. My mom was the leader for the project. You need to use 100% cotton yarn because this type of yarn absorbs water into the fiber. Acrylic yarn doesn’t, so it won’t work for dishcloths. You can buy cotton yarn at Walmart and Hobby Lobby. Use either a "G" size or an "F" size crochet hook.

You also need time to crochet. It helps if you like to do it. Crochet is not my favorite thing to do. I get kind of restless because it seems to take a long time. Mom says I just need more practice. When I see all the pretty things you can make with crochet, it makes me want to stick with it.

Respectfully submitted by Miss Abigail.

A note from Kathleen:

There are a couple of ways to make a granny square. Abigail’s pretty dishcloth is made using the granny square pattern required by her 4-H crochet project. I instructed her to add a final row of single crochet in each stitch around to make a bit more of a finished edge.

You can find directions for making a granny square in many places. Just add however many rounds you wish until the size is just right. The patterns usually read something like this:

Round 1: Chain 4 to 6 and join with a slip stitch in the first chain to make a ring. Chain 3. (This chain counts as the first dc stitch.) Make 2 dc in the ring, catching in the loose thread end. (ch 2, 3 dc) in ring. Repeat (ch 2, 3 dc) twice more. Ch 2 and join with a slip stitch to the top of the starting ch 3.

Round 2: Chain 3. Make 2 dc in the corner space (immediately below the chain three). Ch 1. Make (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 1) in the next corner space. Repeat (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 1) twice more. Make 3 dc in the next (first) corner space. Ch 2 and join with a slip stitch to the top of the starting ch 3.

Round 3 and more: Repeat the same pattern. (ch 3, 2 dc, ch 1) in the corner space. This makes the initial corner. Put a group of (3 dc, ch 1) in each space across the side. In the corner spaces, put (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 1). Begin the rounds and close the last corner as in round 2.

edit: Tipnut has several links for more crocheted dishcloth patterns. Tipnut is such a great internet resource! -km

edit: Here is a link to a later post that shows an easy scalloped edging for this pattern. -km

6 comments:

  1. Great job Miss Abigail! I love the colors. I haven't tried a granny square yet, all my dishcloths are 1/2 double crochet. Keep up the good work! I didn't like crochet either until I got better and quicker at it (I just learned last summer). We are going to have a cleaning out the hope chests next week. The cookbooks are taking up too much room and we need it for our homemade projects. The cookbooks will find a new home in boxes in their closets. I look forward to seeing more of y'alls projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, thanks for the encouragement for Abigail to continue. I hope she will learn to enjoy it more. ;o) She is pleased by your comment. You all must have a wonderful collection of cookbooks. I adore cookbooks and have more than I can ever use. They are also in boxes in my closet. My husband cannot understand why all the cookbooks. I just think they are inspiring! BTW, I have a tutorial almost ready to post of the lacy granny square dishcloth I showed at Christmas. Then you'll have a new one to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many years ago, Southern Living put out a set of American Heritage cookbooks. They were the kind that you "collected" and one came per month for you to preview and purchase. I have a set which I love ~ its the history and stories behind the food. Both grandmothers had sets and I "mentioned" that if they ever wanted to make room on their shelves that I would like the sets for the girls and they gave them to us. Then my husband completed my set by finding them on ebay. Incidentally, this is also the set that Rebekah Wilson talks about in the Hope Chest Legacy. I collect cookbooks and love them ~ reading cookbooks is fun and interesting and I never use all that I have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) My readers and research have actually shown me that acrylic yarn DOES work for dishcloths! My survey has shown that acrylic dishcloths don't get sour & yucky like cotton and they soap up better! Maybe you can try an acrylic one next? I make both but also prefer cotton better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job, I saw it on pintrest and followed the link . Thanks Miss Kathleen for posting the directions.Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe people sometimes. Ok, every year the garden club that I am in has a big fund-raiser some of them knit some dishcloths and they always sell. This year my mom who is legally blind with macular degeneration made 38 dish cloths like the one shown. So I bring them to the set up of the event, there is a sign for them dishcloths $3.00 each and the woman who runs the boutique part of the event is happy to see them. The event is over and I stop back at the end to see how things sold and NONE of them are sold ( I also made some using a pattern from the back of the yarn label they didn't sell either). One of the ladies tells me that I should put something in between two of them and sew them together to make a nicer potholder or trivet. Well that's a great idea except they are not potholders or trivets. So I take them back wondering how I am going to explain to my mom how NONE of them sold. Do you find that there is a general putting down of things crocheted as opposed to knitted, because all the previous years they have been knitted. Someone also told me to maybe make them in more modern colors because they looked a bit old fashioned. I said well you are going to use them to wash dishes or possibly as a washcloth so bright fun colors shouldn't matter since she made them out of every color available. Anyway my rant is over, but let me know what you all have experienced. And she used your pattern and loved it. She seems to be able to do granny squares because the end of each row is more obvious, and can tell if you made a mistake right away. Oh well, now she has tons of Christmas gifts finished way ahead of time. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...