Thursday, April 14, 2011

Wedding Gift - Black and White


I'm now gearing up for the wedding season, and have been busy making gifts. This kitchen set was made for a sweet bride who wants a black and white kitchen. Crocheting with black yarn is really not fun. My aging eyes could hardly see what I was doing. My color picks are usually much brighter and I never realized how difficult it is to stitch with a really dark yarn. Ah well, I think everything turned out well. I made the usual dishcloths and hot pads and added some hand towels and a dishtowel.


I finally had a chance to try the Moda Jelly dish towel that I have had listed on my sidebar. It was really simple and I like how it turned out. I added a step to their tutorial, however. I ran a narrow zig-zag across the edges of the fabric, before I sewed on the rick rack, because I didn't want the edges to fray after washing. Then I sewed the rick rack on with a simple straight line.


I also sewed a bit of white lace on a set of hand towels. Simple and pretty. The second set of hand towels in the top picture has a simple black thread crocheted edge. I'm not sure why I didn't take a separate picture of these. :o}


I also included a box of these color catchers in the gift, because I'm reeeeaaallllly worried about the black color in the wash. I'm pretty sure it will cause problems, but I'm hoping these will help.

5 comments:

  1. wow, what a nice gift! i can imagine how pleased the bride to be will be with such a thoughtful gift that obviously took a lot of time and effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank you, Sierra, you are so sweet. I do hope she'll be pleased. I like to do handmade gifts when I can squeeze out the time. Em was lucky, I guess, since she got married in March, during spring break. By the time May and June rolls around, I sometimes have to resort to gift cards, which are also good, but certainly less personal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely gift! I have been wanting to make some of the dish towels since seeing it on your sidebar. Thank you for sharing these ideas, such sweet inspiration!

    Blessings on your day,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon, do try the dishtowel. It was just the easiest thing! It only took a few minutes and gave me another handmade piece to add to the gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, you’re such an inspiration. I love this blog!
    How to Use Silicone Bakeware. Silicone bakeware is high-tech and easy to store and clean, which makes it an appealing option to many bakers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...