Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thanksgiving Kitchen Set


I finished the Thanksgiving kitchen set for Miss Abigail’s hope chest - just in time! I always seem to run a little behind on my projects, but this one is ready. Thanksgiving is one of our favorite holidays. I love to cook the dinner and Abigail loves to decorate and set the table, so we make quite a team. I even like to wash the dishes, which I do mostly by myself - at my own request. I just like to take my time and admire my pretty dishes and dry them off with pretty towels. I’m not sure that Abigail will ever love to do the Thanksgiving dishes, but at least she will have the pretty towels.


I started this set with the yarn that Abigail liked so well. These hotpads are truly one of a kind. I wanted something different from my usual favorite, so I loosely followed a hexagonal pattern. The term loose would be an understatement. I got a little creative in the middle of things and then somehow had to make it all work together. I wrestled and wrangled and, in the end, these hotpads turned out pretty well, but I’ll never be able to replicate what I did. They are nice and thick, which is the most important factor.


I tried a circular pattern for the dishcloths in this set. These were quick to make, and I’m happy to have another quick pattern. I started out with the #1 pattern found in a Leisure Arts leaflet called "Dishcloths in the Round,"  but naturally adjusted here and there. I really can't seem to help it. The V-stitch works well for dishcloths, I think. This stitch makes a fabric that is close, but not too dense.


I used two designs from Aunt Martha’s #3995 “Monthly Madness” for the embroidered dishtowels. I loved the designs, but thought they were a bit small, so I enlarged them on a regular copy machine and then traced them with a transfer pen.


I found a nice color match in these handtowels and added a simple crocheted leaf to the bottom of each towel. The pattern for this scallop-edged leaf comes directly and without deviation from a lovely book, “Crochet Bouquet,” by Suzann Thompson. I used #3 sized cotton thread.



The pattern for the apron is the “Sassy Little Apron” by Cabbage Rose Quilts. Cute.


The last item in this set is another fabric embellished dishtowel. I had extra fabric from the apron and quickly sewed up a towel using the “Retro-Fun” tutorial from Sew4Home. This is a great tutorial. I think I’ve found another dishtowel favorite. I added a simple monogram with chain stitch and lazy daisies.


Finally, I made a cover to keep the items together inside the hope chest and then made a tag from the apron fabric to identify this set.


Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you all have a wonderful holiday.

8 comments:

  1. Every thing is just so lovely! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! blessings,Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. The apron is my very favorite. Beautiful goodies for Abigail's hope chest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! The warm colors are so inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very very cute this complete set!!!!! I love all the items you make. Be blessed and have a nice thanksgiving.
    Sandra a reader from France

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your comments - this set was really fun to make. I usually make things for the hope chest a piece at a time with long stretches in between while I work on something else. So it was nice to sit down and do it all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, these are beautiful projects....and I LOVE that you made a fabric wrapper to keep everything together :) :) I'm going to have to check out some of the links that you posted :) :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This came out so cute! I especially like the apron and the fabric trimmed dishtowels. I love Sew4Home; it's such a great resource. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! I am excited to start making seasonal things for my hope chest. My mother and I are going to go shopping one of these days for some materials on my Christmas list :)

    These Little Hands

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...