Here is the fabric envelope I made to keep the Pink & Brown kitchen set together in the hope chest. I call this an envelope because I don't know what else to call it. I need some kind of article to keep everything in a set from shifting around and becoming disorganized as we stir around in the hope chest. I began to solve the problem by tying things together with ribbons, but I find that ribbons are totally inadequate for the job! I've done this envelope thing a number of different ways for a few of the different sets that I've completed so far. Not all of the completed sets have an envelope yet; some are still just tied with ribbons. But, I'm on a quest for the perfect style.
For example, the envelope for the Thanksgiving set has four radiating arms that fold over the linens and tie together on top. I included a tag made from a scrap of the apron fabric. This gives Miss Abigail a reminder as to what is inside the packet without having to undo the bow. I like how it looks and how it completely encloses the set, but it is a little hard to measure and construct.
The envelope for the Brown & Aqua set is a wide fabric rectangular "ribbon" and closes with buttonholes and 5 different buttons on the top of the stack. The sides are open so that contents are easily seen and I like that aspect. It is much easier to construct. This envelope has an embroidered monogram. I posted a tutorial explaining this style.
I like the fabric ribbon style because I find that I like the open sides. I'm such a visual person and enjoy seeing at least a peek of the linens that are included in the set.
For the Pink & Brown set I thought about making another ribbon style, but ended up adjusting make it very easy. First, I measured the stack of linens. It was 34 inches around the stack. I cut a piece of matching fabric 18-inches by 40-inches to give me enough fabric for hems and overlap. On the short end, I folded over 1/4-inch and pressed. Then measured and sewed a 2 1/2-inch hem. I did this for both short ends of the fabric strip.
Then, on the long sides, I again measured and pressed a 1/4-inch fold and pressed again at 3/4-inch for a casing down the length of the sides. I left this casing open at both ends for the ribbons.
I measured two ribbons 39-inches long and pulled them through the casing with a large safety pin. Be sure to pin one end of the ribbon so that it doesn't accidentally pull through before you are ready to gather it up.
Finally, I placed the stack of linens in the middle of the fabric and just folded the ends over the top. I gathered the ribbons and tied them to enclose then linens and secure the envelope. I think it works pretty well. I like that there is a bit of fabric down the sides to keep things from shifting. It was also much easier to make than any of the other styles. It is much more plain, though, I should have put some lace on there at least! Hmmm. Maybe I'm just getting lazy in my old age. If I can find some time I may go back and add something. Well, regardless of how plain it is, the envelope will keep the linens in this set together in the hope chest, while allowing one to easily see what's inside. Mission accomplished.