Friday, June 3, 2011

Tutorial - Crocheted V-Stitch Trim

Here is the tutorial I promised, describing how to make the crocheted trim I posted about here. The tutorial is short because this trim is truly so easy. ;o) If you have any questions, and especially if anything seems unclear, please don't hestitate to ask.

Using size 10 crochet thread and a size 9 steel hook, cast on and chain 4.


In the 4th chain from the hook, make 1 dc. Chain 2.


In the same space, make 2 more dc. Ch 3, then turn.


*In the ch 2 space from the previous round, make 2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc. Ch 3, turn.*


Repeat the previous round (between the **) for desired length. Fasten off by clipping the thread and pulling the end through the loop. Weave the loose threads in to finish the ends.


That’s it! I told you it would be easy.

I use steam from the iron to block the trim. This removes the twist and sets the stitches. Then I wash and dry the trim, along with whatever fabric item I’m using. This allows the trim and the fabric to shrink, if either needs it. Then, I steam the trim again to make it flat and easy to sew.

Sometimes it is difficult to anticipate the length of trim that I need. The longer the project, the more difficult it seems to be. Because the brands of threads are different, I always crochet at least an inch or more beyond the length called for by measuring. Because of this, I don’t finish the top end until everything has been washed and preshrunk. I do fasten off by clipping the thread and pulling it through the stitches. This is so the length doesn’t unravel in the wash. But if I don’t weave the top thread end in yet, I can make a final fitting to the fabric. Then I can undo that last bit and pull out the stitches that I don’t need. I really don't have much trouble with the thread shrinking, but it never hurts to wash everything together.

Here is a final, close-up picture of the stitches. You can clearly see the double crochet V-stitches in the shells and the turning chains on the outside of the trim.


I hope you can see that you could easily make variations on this pattern. You could increase the stitches in the turning chain to create loops on the sides. You could increase the number of double crochets in the center shell. You could increase or reduce the number of stitches on one side of the shell, or add a chain between stitches, making the trim larger on one side than the other. You could try triple crochet instead of double. There are lots of possiblities in this simple pattern. Just use your imagination and find a bit of time to experiment!


Shared on Raising Homemakers Wednesday Link-up.
Shared on Women Living Well Wednesday Link-up.
Shared on Prairie Flower Farm Building Our Homes Link-up.

10 comments:

  1. Hey, I love your trim! It's so pretty.

    I am stopping by from Prairie Flower Farm. it is always nice to make new friends.

    Blessings,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathleen......thank you so for coming over. I love this. So sweet and dainty. Think it would be sweet on the end of a tea towel or end of pillow case. What else do you use your trims on? Only answer if you have time.

    Blessings, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the trim. It's so simple and cute. I'm more of a knitter. Although I do crochet a bit more now, too :) :) I love vintage lace :) :) I'm also linked up with Linda's "Building Our Homes Together" series :) :) Have a great rest of the week :) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this would be so pretty on a pillow case. I've made crocheted trim years ago, but this is daintier and much prettier than what I made. I'm not as adept at crocheting with thread as I wish I was. I do better with yarn.

    Thanks for sharing! It's lovely!

    God bless,
    Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thank all of you for your generous comments, and I'm happy to have you visit.

    This trim looks a lot like rick-rack, so I could add it to anything that rick-rack would go on. I think it looks good along the woven strip on bath towels and on kitchen towels. It is very sturdy and seems to take laundering well. I think its very lovely along the stitching of the hem on pillowcases and the top sheet as well. Really, it is so quick to make that it doesn't take too long to get enough for the sheet along with the pillowcases. I've used it a number of times on clothing, it does look sweet around the neck edge or hem of a t-shirt or sweatshirt. It really dresses it up. Just remember that it doesn't stretch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so pleased to see this, now I know how my grandmother made the trim on the pillowcases she gave me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you for sharing this edging...it is just perfect to make trim with thrift store bought thread I discovered was a perfect match for a new blouse!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This really helped me with my wedding dress! I was looking for something like that and this is even better. Thank you, for real, I wish you the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am making a quilt and wanted to use size 12 DMC crochet thread... what size crochet hook do I use with that thread to make nice crochet edging that I will sew into the quilt at the border for a little extra dimension without losing total softness as with polyester based and imported laces. Thanks for your thoughts as I am not sure how well I will crochet :) Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that you would be using a very small hook, I am using a size 9 with a sz10 thread.. soo. it seems to me that 10 or whatever size it takes to achieve an even number of stitches per inch or so... right???

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...