Friday, April 12, 2013

A Peek Inside - An Old-Fashioned Gift


While I was visiting family, I had a chance to talk to my mother-in-law about the hope chest she made when she was a young girl, preparing for marriage. She disappeared for a few minutes and came back with these lovely pillowcases. She said they were a gift from her best friend's mother on the occasion of her marriage. It was a beautiful gift, wouldn't you say? I can see that I need to spend some more time in her basement with a camera. She has used the pillowcases often, and kept them so well for more than 50 years. They still look almost pristine. I just thought you might like a peek at the kind of work that went into a hope chest many years ago. If you zoom in on the last picture, some of you may be able to duplicate the pretty crocheted edging. One of these days, I'll try to write proper directions...



4 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful & they appear to have never been used!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pillowcases are beautiful and such nice gifts for a hope chest. I wonder how many young ladies, today, even know what a hope chest is and how special they are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I can't believe those pillowcases are more than 50 years old. Does your mother-in-law have any advice for laundering/caring for hand stitched items?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please instruct on the edging

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...