Monday, March 23, 2020

Thinking about Hope



I am thinking about hope today. Preparation and hope go hand in hand. Whatever the outcome of this COVID-19 virus situation, there is always hope for the future. Early this morning, as I was organizing myself to truly finish up the physical hope chest for Abigail, I was reminded again of why I did this. Honestly, you may be assured that I have been questioned many times about the usefulness of such a thing.

This is a quote from a post waaaaay back in May of 2014.


"I know people wonder why I am doing this. People ask me if I don't trust that Abigail will receive any wedding gifts and I laugh and say that I am hopeful that she will. But, who knows when she might get married and what those gifts might be and sometimes they can be pretty random. This is my gift - and along the way I hope I am teaching her to look ahead, to value creating a home, to develop skills, to be creative and to "prepare every needful thing."  Taking responsibility to prepare for a future need is simple wisdom. None of us knows what the future holds and if Abigail's need is not as great as the preparation, she will have an excess to share."

Today I am thinking that preparation is always a good thing...

7 comments:

  1. I'm sure many share your outlook that preparation is a good thing! I called all that I gathered before I was married my articles of faith--partly tongue in cheek, partly because I'd been taught that faith without works is dead. Therefore, by gathering items for use when married showed that I had faith that someday I'd be married and need them. And if I never married I'd still have them to furnish a home and live graciously.

    We currently have two Asian exchange students with us and they are amazed that we have plenty of food and toiletries in our home without panicking and rushing to the store. I'm so thankful to believe in and be able to follow living prophets who give us wise counsel and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased that someone is still reading the blog Rozy Lass! Thanks for the comment. We also have plenty and I'm grateful.

      Delete
  2. So glad you posted this! Preparation is, indeed, key! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I call what you are doing, "common sense". Preparing is common sense. I think it's great what you do with this bog, I think it will help others. Thanks for taking the time to put the work into your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful testimony of why we prepare! I have loved your blog for so long and it has shaped how my kids (sons and daughters) prepare for the future. There was an article a while ago that showed that kids who had saved anywhere from $5-$500 for college were much more likely to go to college, even though the number was nowhere near what they would need. The planning shaped their future. I think of that when my kids work on projects "for their future family". It shapes their vision of the future and gives them courage to have a family in troubled times. I pray blessings on you and your beautiful daughter as she moves forward in faith and hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The picture of your beautiful daughter and future son-in-law brought me to tears! I have followed your blog with an eye toward my granddaughter. I talked to her about a hope chest and she thought it was a wonderful idea. Thank you so very much. for you blog! What a blessing.💖

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...