Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Using Cloth Napkins - my thoughts


Cloth napkins are one of life's little luxuries, like a pretty placemat or a tablecloth on a bare table. I want Miss Abigail to have at least a few cloth napkins in her hope chest. Many people don't take the trouble to dress the table for everyday. Holidays, birthdays and recognizing special milestones are usually an occasion for setting a special table, but everyday meals are overlooked most of the time. But I would like to argue that even the most humble of dinners can be made a little more special by using a pretty cloth napkin.

Cloth napkins were used regularly until the middle of the last century when paper napkins, which require no washing or ironing, became more popular. It was and is an affordable convenience and, like so many other things, it saved time. Most people now don't own cloth napkins, though some are using cloth napkins as a more ecological choice. But many people don't use any napkins at all. Many eat on the go or at the kitchen counter, and it's just too easy to reach for the paper towels if a napkin is necessary.

It's actually pretty easy to collect and use cloth napkins, especially if you liberate yourself from the traditional fussiness of using them. The notion that they belong at a fancy dinner party or that your grandmother would be shocked at the stains or wrinkles honestly need not apply in our day and time. Bright patterns or dark colors can hide the stains and ironing just reinforces the fussiness belief. Choose an soft, aged fabric and leave them rumpled. This has a casual appeal that is just right for an everyday meal. Have enough that you can just add them to your regular laundry. You can sew them yourself or buy them secondhand at antique stores or thrift stores.

I would like to assert that when we come together for a meal, a cloth napkin can elevate that time and make it more special. It doesn't have to seem fancy or be uncomfortable. It's just a little thing that can create a bigger moment and make life a little more beautiful.


4 comments:

  1. We've used cloth napkins for almost 30 years now. I LOVE them because they are so absorbent, don't shred, and can be used for a week before washing (unless you have something messy like barbecue ribs). I purchased napkin rings, a different one for each member of the family and use them to keep each person's napkin personal. I don't even mind ironing them! Ironing is a good excuse to watch a fun/favorite movie while doing something productive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love cloth napkins! We use them everyday for every meal and snack. I have been doing this since the '70's! We don't buy paper napkins for our home although I do purchase them for my kindergarten classroom for the children's snacks. The cloth napkins we use at home are ones that I have made or collected over the years. There are many of them and they are rolled up from the clean laundry basket and placed into a wire basket on my kitchen counter. They are soft and of many colors and patterns and do not get ironed at all. The special occasion napkins that I iron are used for special times with family and friends or the tea parties I host in my kindergarten for Valentine's Day and for our school incentive program. My daughter also only uses 'everyday' cloth napkins in her apartment. She tells me that she has to insist that her friends use them! They are shocked that a 26 year old uses cloth napkins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use cloth napkins, too. I like them so much better than the disposable ones! As you suggest, I have enough to just toss the used napkins in and wash them with my regular laundry. (I bought my favorite ones at a garage sale!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use cloth napkins and am not fussy with them. Mine have been used for years and we don't mind a few stains. They are easy to wash with the towels and last for a long time. I also use hankies. I hate to use tissues and have a cloth hankie in every pocket. They are so much softer and when you have a sore nose, who wants to wipe with something that's not soft?

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...